It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's (NOT) OVER (ANYMORE)! Tokyopop lost the license!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:14 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

Got it. LOL @ "Great Teacher Kadena" on the back cover.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:51 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Spoiler:
Heh, nice volume. The Nao Kadena arc seemed to end prematurely? I dunno. Anyway, yeah, poor Onizuka.

I finally finished volume 14 here.
Spoiler:
And yeah, poor Eikichi. You know he's never gonna get anywhere since he's still a virgin in GTO, but at this point you kinda feel for him, no? Wish it'd work out for him, for once.

Kadena arc... was quite tragic here, compared to how it was adapted for the GTO anime. Not only is her brother in a coma, but as it turns out she herself is directly responsible for it... Ouch. I don't quite remember how they treated that part in the OVA, I know he was in a coma, but I don't remember that she was the one who raced him, so that carried a bit more weight here.

Onizuka in the telephone club... The part where he starts bragging about making TV dramas reminded me of an episode of the 1998 GTO drama... I guess that scene was inspired by this? Also, the part where he pretends to be an old man with hearing problems look just like a scene at the beginning of the GTO manga... Guess that's a repeat gag that I never knew about until now. It's fun to see it all come together like this.

It's very interesting to see how Fujisawa's art has developed over the course of the series. Looking at volume 1 now, it barely resembles this volume at all, stylistically. This is closer to GTO, visually. There's also far less fighting and violence lately, with a bigger focus on character development. The comedy doesn't seem quite as raunchy as it did at first, either, though there is still plenty of it. It becomes more and more apparent to me that Fujisawa didn't just suddenly switch gears between SJG and GTO, it has been a gradual development of his storytelling and art style the entire way.

And now, there's only one more volume to go...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 pm 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

Ugly Pig wrote:

And now, there's only one more volume to go...

Yeah... So depressing. I wonder how it ends though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:34 am 
I post a lot!

I was just reading Vertical's facebook page and found something interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/Vertical.Inc

Apparently, Vertical did not plan or want to finish SJG but were forced to pick it up in order to get the rights to and publish S14D or anything Fujisawa. They seem relieved to finally be done with SJG :(

Ongoing: Adesugata Junjou Boy; Shonan Seven
Completed: Oishii Kamishama; Animal Joe; Dutchoven Girl of Love; Unhappy!; Uncharted: The Treasure of El Dorado; Elegy for the Errors of Cooking; Repoman Soul!; Black Diamond; Ino-Head Gargoyle; GT-R; Secret Combat Troops Momoider; Love You; Goblin Mad Dog; Kamen Teacher VS Police
Dropped: GTO: Paradise Lost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:24 am 

nosajj wrote:

Apparently, Vertical did not plan or want to finish SJG but were forced to pick it up in order to get the rights to and publish S14D or anything Fujisawa. They seem relieved to finally be done with SJG :(

Man we're damn lucky we get it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
nosajj wrote:

Man we're damn lucky we get it.

Yeah we are... Can't blame them for lack of enthusiasm, though, considering the sales they've been seeing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:54 pm 

Vertical (and us) may be sad SJG isn't selling, but it's not stopping Vertical from using SJG 15 as their display-picture-thingy on Facebook. :)

https://www.facebook.com/Vertical.Inc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:20 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Vertical (and us) may be sad SJG isn't selling, but it's not stopping Vertical from using SJG 15 as their display-picture-thingy on Facebook. :)

Nice!!

Quick word of warning; the synopsis for volume 15 that's up now (on amazon and probably other sites as well) is very spoiler filled. I read it, not realizing it was going to give away so much, and... :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 pm 

Ugly Pig wrote:
RealOne wrote:

Nice!!

Quick word of warning; the synopsis for volume 15 that's up now (on amazon and probably other sites as well) is very spoiler filled. I read it, not realizing it was going to give away so much, and... :(

Thanks. I'll avoid it. If the same synopsis is at the back of the book, I don't know if I can ignore it though. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 pm 
I post a lot!

RealOne wrote:

Regardless, they would still at least try to promote it and maximise sales :D

And it's called a cover photo, not a display-picture-thingy :wink:

Completed: Oishii Kamishama; Animal Joe; Dutchoven Girl of Love; Unhappy!; Uncharted: The Treasure of El Dorado; Elegy for the Errors of Cooking; Repoman Soul!; Black Diamond; Ino-Head Gargoyle; GT-R; Secret Combat Troops Momoider; Love You; Goblin Mad Dog; Kamen Teacher VS Police

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 pm 

SJG 15 is now released. :cry:

I will order it around the 5th of November. So sad... GTO is coming to an end.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 pm 
I post a lot!

Mine's already shipped :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 am 
I post a lot!

Just received Volume 15 and finished reading it in one sitting. Man is the finale friggin' epic. It's been six years since I first started reading SJG and so glad to have finally finished it. The wait is so worth it. Don't want to give too much away yet, but it ended really well, lots of old faces make an appearance and surprisingly, it was a good balance between Onizuka and Ryuji, unlike the Onizuka-centric volume 14. Feel sorry for Shinomi, felt like Fujisawa was trolling her so much at times, especially the TV competition chapter.

Having completed SJG, there were some things that I wished Fujisawa would touch on more before ending, it, such as more on Onzuka's father, more on Masaki, Onibaku's Midnight Angels days.

According to Vertical's facebook page, SJG only has 300 readers so that should give you an indication of sales (they are aiming for another 2000), which is unfortunate. Can't believe that there aren't that many fans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:17 pm 

nosajj wrote:
Just received Volume 15 and finished reading it in one sitting. Man is the finale friggin' epic. It's been six years since I first started reading SJG and so glad to have finally finished it. The wait is so worth it. Don't want to give too much away yet, but it ended really well, lots of old faces make an appearance and surprisingly, it was a good balance between Onizuka and Ryuji, unlike the Onizuka-centric volume 14. Feel sorry for Shinomi, felt like Fujisawa was trolling her so much at times, especially the TV competition chapter.

Having completed SJG, there were some things that I wished Fujisawa would touch on more before ending, it, such as more on Onzuka's father, more on Masaki, Onibaku's Midnight Angels days.

According to Vertical's facebook page, SJG only has 300 readers so that should give you an indication of sales (they are aiming for another 2000), which is unfortunate. Can't believe that there aren't that many fans.

300 around the whole world excluding Japan, China and I think South Korea.... No Wonder there aren't many new members here... Will order the last volume very soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm 
I post a lot!

Well 300 English readers (pretty much people who buy Vertical's releases), so yes excludes Japan, China, South Korea and also Italian, French and whatever other languages it is published in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next