It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:34 am

Post subject: GTO adaptions: Video review
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

Okay, so here's something I've been working on lately: A video review of all the TV/movie/video adaptions of GTO universe manga. Just me sharing my honest opinions about... everything. It's not quite finished yet though so this is only Part 1:

Spoiler:
Sorry about the history lesson at the beginning, I know you guys don't need it. :lol: (Also in retrospect I think I sound a little down on SJG, calling it "juvenile" and all, I should have added that I think it's juvenile "in a fun way" or something. You guys know what I mean.)

Part 2 coming... whenever it's done. Soonish.

(BTW... kinda hard to decide what section to post this in since the video kind of touches on everything. Sometimes I wish we had a "General GTO talk" section... Of course, it wouldn't be used much anyway.)

EDIT: Here's Part 2:

EDIT again: ...and here's Part 3:

EDIT again again:

Full version uploaded to Dailymotion. This is basically all three parts combined into one long continuous video. There's no new material, but if there's someone who hasn't seen the YouTube version and is crazy enough to want to listen to me jabbering for 40 minutes straight, this would be the version to watch.

EDIT again again again:

YouTube has removed Part 3 because of a copyright claim. Bastards. Watch the full version on Dailymotion instead.

Post subject: Re: GTO adaptions: Video review
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:57 am 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

Excellent work!

Great editing, informative. Liked, favorited and subscribed.

Spoiler:
Are you hiding your Norwegian accent with that voice editing? :P

Looking forward to see you pit the two drama versions against each other.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 am 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Excellent work!

Great editing, informative. Liked, favorited and subscribed.

Yay! Thanks man. :D

RealOne wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Not hiding my Norwegian accent as much as I'm hiding the fact that I kept choking every three words while recording... The first four minutes or so are edited down from a 19 minute long recording. Human speech is hard when you're a pig. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 am 

Ugly Pig wrote:
RealOne wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Not hiding my Norwegian accent as much as I'm hiding the fact that I kept choking every three words while recording... The first four minutes or so are edited down from a 19 minute long recording. Human speech is hard when you're a pig. :(

Hah, I know all about that. When I make scripted videos, I edit out a shit ton every time. My SNES story vid which may never be released (hell, it's from late 2011) was edited down from 18 mins to 10-ish or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:35 am 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Hah, I know all about that. When I make scripted videos, I edit out a shit ton every time. My SNES story vid which may never be released (hell, it's from late 2011) was edited down from 18 mins to 10-ish or something.

Yeah. Part of my problem, though, was that I recorded this without writing any script. :shock:

I did write one for the recording of the last portion though (about the GTO anime) and that helped a bit. Still needed heavy editing though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:38 am 

Ugly Pig wrote:
RealOne wrote:

Yeah. Part of my problem, though, was that I recorded this without writing any script. :shock:

I did write one for the recording of the last portion though (about the GTO anime) and that helped a bit. Still needed heavy editing though.

Very well done for being without a script then... :shock:
It didn't seem unscripted at all.

I rarely stutter and such in my unscripted vids, strangely. All my let's plays are mostly uncut, unscripted.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 am 

Really really awesome man. Loved watching it!!
Looking forward to the next installment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 am 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Very well done for being without a script then... :shock:
It didn't seem unscripted at all.

Well I did have a script... in my brain. :) By the time I started recording, I'd probably gone over everything in my head about a hundred times... In retrospect, I really should have written it down though.

RealOne wrote:
I rarely stutter and such in my unscripted vids, strangely. All my let's plays are mostly uncut, unscripted.

It would probably be the same for me. Honest, immediate reactions and just saying what I'm thinking at the moment aren't generally a problem but when I'm following a plan...

bandit_legend wrote:
Really really awesome man. Loved watching it!!
Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks man! :D

Hopefully the editing of part 2 will be a little quicker, as I have (almost) all the video materials I need on my hard drive already... For part 1, I had to rip all of the GTO anime clips I wanted to use from the DVDs, and transfer the SJG/Bad Company live actions from VHS (luckily I'd already done that for the SJG anime vids at least).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

Part 2 is now finished and has been added to the first post.

Sorry guys... I couldn't finish it in two parts... I'm gonna have to do another one. This was originally meant to be one ~15 minute video briefly reviewing the various adaptions, but well, I guess I had more to say about them than I thought. And when I got to the Sorimachi drama, well, I kinda got stuck there. AKIRA will have to wait for Part 3... I rant too much, I know. :lol: Hope y'all will bear with me.

Spoiler:
I hope I'm not pissing anyone off with my negative opinions on the special and the movie.... Hopefully, my love for the original series will show in the review, if nothing else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 am 

Another excellent episode. Interesting criticisms of the special and the movie.

I liked them, to me they were about as good as the worst episodes of GTO 2012 was. I had no real problem with the random relationships, but hey, you know me, I really like when they go where the manga never went.

Also, I think it was Fujisawa himself who wrote the novel the movie was based on. Don't quote me on this though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:59 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Another excellent episode. Interesting criticisms of the special and the movie.

Thanks. In retrospect, I think I should have devoted some time to the special's good points. I could have cut the unnecesarry digression about Onizuka and Fuyutsuki having/not having sex to make room for it, that was kind of pointless. It's not like I think the special is all bad, my main problem is they turn the Urumi arc into a generic "heartbreak" story.

The movie... well. Maybe I wouldn't mind it so much if it was just a regular episode. But it's the GTO movie. It should be something spectacular, but it's not. It's just so... uninspired. :(

RealOne wrote:
I had no real problem with the random relationships, but hey, you know me, I really like when they go where the manga never went.

I have no problem with the Onizuka/Fuyutsuki relationship. That's an example of something that's not from the manga but works well for this version. It's all the other relationships that suddenly pop up out of nowhere that bug me. Why are they there? What purpose do they serve? Does the writer think it's not a happy end unless everyone has a boyfriend/girlfriend? Maybe I should mention that this is something that bugs me in TV/movies in general, it's not restricted to the GTO special although it was a prime example of it. I like a good romance. But I don't like it when they shove it into stories where I feel it doesn't really fit. It's like 99% of all stories have some sort of romace going on in it, there's no need to insert it into the remaining 1% that tries to do something different... That's my view on it.

RealOne wrote:
Also, I think it was Fujisawa himself who wrote the novel the movie was based on. Don't quote me on this though.

I don't know enough Japanese to be able to read it, but it looks like it's another name credited as author... Fujisawa did the artwork for it, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had some input. It would be interesting to read it, it's supposedly good... And how about that Uchiyamada cartoon? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:09 am 
I post a lot!

That was really good! When is part 3 coming?

You pretty much summed up everything that I thought about the first GTO drama.

PS. Did you speed up your voice a bit? I can't imagine that being your normal talking voice?

Completed: Re: Animal Joe; Adesugata Junjou Boy; Oishii Kamishama; Animal Joe; Dutchoven Girl of Love; Unhappy!; Uncharted: The Treasure of El Dorado; Elegy for the Errors of Cooking; Repoman Soul!; Black Diamond; Ino-Head Gargoyle; GT-R; Secret Combat Troops Momoider; Love You; Goblin Mad Dog; Kamen Teacher VS Police
Dropped: Shonan Seven; GTO: Paradise Lost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:41 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

nosajj wrote:
That was really good! When is part 3 coming?

Thanks! :D Part 3 is coming... I don't know when. Part 2 took me about twice as long to finish as I had anticipated, so apparently I'm bad at predicting this kinda thing.

nosajj wrote:
PS. Did you speed up your voice a bit? I can't imagine that being your normal talking voice?

I'm a pig, of course I sound strange speaking in human languages. :)

Yeah. It's sped up a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 am 
Great Forum Moderator~

Part 3 is done... First post updated.

Well... that took longer than expected. Much, much longer. Primarily because after working on part 1 and part 2 and then most of part 3 practically non stop for week after week... I burned out. Part 3 sat almost complete on my hard drive for several weeks before I could finally bring myself to finish it with the last couple of minutes.

And yes, this is the last part... There's still more I wanted to include, like comparing the two dramas to each other directly, but this is already way longer than I intended. I wanted to do a ~15 minute video... it ended up 40 minutes long total, when you combine all three parts. So yeah, I'm done.

Although, I did also create a "complete" 40 minute long version, with all 3 parts combined into one long video... I'll try to upload that soon as well, in case someone can stand to hear me rant for more than 14 minutes at the time. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:42 am 

Excellent work, as expected! B-but I still don't know which drama you prefer... :o

Anyway, yeah, very good job on these. Didn't you feel the 2012 drama was a bit too fast moving? You didn't mention it.