Shonan Vision
http://forum.onibakubanzai.com/

What are these?
http://forum.onibakubanzai.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3923
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Ugly Pig [ Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:12 pm ]
Post subject:  What are these?

So, I did a search for "GTO" on the Japanese amazon site because that's how I spend my precious spare time, and came across these publications, all from July and August of this year, all having between 332 and 356 pages. Anyone know what they are? I am guessing some sort of re-release of the manga to tie in with the new drama or something?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  Foobie57 [ Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

Ugly Pig wrote:
So, I did a search for "GTO" on the Japanese amazon site because that's how I spend my precious spare time, and came across these publications, all from July and August of this year, all having between 332 and 356 pages. Anyone know what they are? I am guessing some sort of re-release of the manga to tie in with the new drama or something?


Yup...Encore series. The first 2 states the date when the Drama Starts. Still 300+ pages...that's the size of the SJG comics that were released here. My question is why is there English dialogue on the cover?

Author:  RealOne [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

Foobie57 wrote:
Ugly Pig wrote:
So, I did a search for "GTO" on the Japanese amazon site because that's how I spend my precious spare time, and came across these publications, all from July and August of this year, all having between 332 and 356 pages. Anyone know what they are? I am guessing some sort of re-release of the manga to tie in with the new drama or something?


Yup...Encore series. The first 2 states the date when the Drama Starts. Still 300+ pages...that's the size of the SJG comics that were released here. My question is why is there English dialogue on the cover?


Hmmm... Kodansha released a bi-lingual version of GTO in Japan once I think... Maybe it's that one?

Author:  bandit_legend [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

Why is there English? There was English on the back of every original GTO volume so it's nothing new really. Some design choice they decided on back in 1997.

I think these are just a new print of the cheap combini edition, with new covers to promote the drama.
I haven't looked into it though, but this is what it seems like from just looking at those images.

Author:  nosajj [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

RealOne wrote:
Hmmm... Kodansha released a bi-lingual version of GTO in Japan once I think... Maybe it's that one?


Really? I didn't know that. So how does it work, it has english alongside japanese? Or is it duplicate pages. Anywhere we can get hold of the whole set?

Author:  Ugly Pig [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

nosajj wrote:
RealOne wrote:
Hmmm... Kodansha released a bi-lingual version of GTO in Japan once I think... Maybe it's that one?


Really? I didn't know that. So how does it work, it has english alongside japanese? Or is it duplicate pages. Anywhere we can get hold of the whole set?

I can't be sure, but I don't believe they actually published the entire series that way, only the first few volumes...

Image

Author:  bandit_legend [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

Yeah they only did the first 3 volumes. You might be able to track it down through Kinokuniya, Nosajj.

Author:  tinlunlau [ Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

How did the page layout look like for the bilingual releases?

Author:  bandit_legend [ Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are these?

basically all the panels were shrunk a bit to fit Japanese text around the borders. Everything inside the speech bubbles were mostly in English. To be honest, it doesn't look great, but it's kind of cool for a language learner none the less. Also, the translation is pretty good.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/