It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:08 am

Post subject: The Staff of GTO
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:44 pm 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

The issue has been raised time and time again: Why are some parts of Fujisawa's work so good, while other parts are just kind of ordinary? I'm not sure how many of you have noticed, but a lot of people say things like "GTO is great but after the Okinawa arc I wasn't as much of a fan." You can see this kind of comment all of the internet actually. And then of course there's Shonan 14 Days, which most people seem to class as very inferior compared with the original series. Why is this I wonder? This issue is something that's been floating around in my brain for quite a while, but I couldn't really think of an explanation other than "Fujisawa just may have lost his touch in some parts". Well recently I've actually realised something. I think the ups and downs in Fujisawa's work may be heavily related to the staff he works with.

First of all, lets look at something very interesting that I just discovered tonight. Like I just mentioned, many people say the greatness of GTO declines a little bit post-Okinawa. Well guess what. I've just found there was a significant shift in editors right at this point!

Also, has anyone else noticed there were particular changes in feel of the art throughout the series? For example, compared with the early volumes of the series where there was a lot of fine detail everywhere with thin line work, the later volumes seem to be very dark and inky-black. I think these things can be attributed to certain assistants coming and going. It would be interesting to take a closer look at this!

Anyway guys, I'd like to open this thread up as a place to discuss the staff of GTO and the impact they had on the series in general :)

Post subject: Re: The Staff of GTO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:15 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

bandit_legend wrote:
Like I just mentioned, many people say the greatness of GTO declines a little bit post-Okinawa. Well guess what. I've just found there was a significant shift in editors right at this point!

There's also the fact that the original idea was for GTO to end in ten volumes. Maybe Fujisawa got a little burnt-out by this point, having already been working on it longer than he had been prepared for?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:46 pm 

Call me crazy, but I think GTO got BETTER after the Okinawa arc. So much focus on individual characters... Like Noboru and Uehara's date... That said, my favorite chapter of all time is still Mr. Sakurai's poop adventures and metamorphosis. Some epic shit right there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Call me crazy, but I think GTO got BETTER after the Okinawa arc.

Yeah, I don't know why people say otherwise. I think the later volumes were fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:05 am 

Hmm I don't know if it's because he was burnt out or not, but I'm inclined to say it has more to do with the editors and staff. Whether you think it gets worse or not, you have to agree that the overall feel of the series does start to change quite quickly. In my opinion the feel of the Mayu arc is really quite different compared with everything that preceded, and it continues to become even more different as the volumes go on. I would like to make a chart of the different of the different staff changes that happened over time and see if we can correlate it with anything significant in the manga.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 am 

bandit_legend wrote:
Hmm I don't know if it's because he was burnt out or not, but I'm inclined to say it has more to do with the editors and staff. Whether you think it gets worse or not, you have to agree that the overall feel of the series does start to change quite quickly. In my opinion the feel of the Mayu arc is really quite different compared with everything that preceded, and it continues to become even more different as the volumes go on. I would like to make a chart of the different of the different staff changes that happened over time and see if we can correlate it with anything significant in the manga.

Yeah... The art got "cleaner" the further the series went. Less detail, but better shading etc. So yeah, most likely thanks to his assistants.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:02 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Yeah... The art got "cleaner" the further the series went. Less detail, but better shading etc. So yeah, most likely thanks to his assistants.

Well, maybe. Fujisawa's style has evolved a lot over the years, especially during SJG, so it makes sense it'd evolve over the course of GTO's run as well. It's hard to say, though, as we really don't know a whole lot about the assistants or their individual styles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 am 

I think the style of art got darker after the Okinawa arc. I'm sure Fujisawa's own style evolved, but for the most part he just draws the main characters and that's it. Screen-tone, detail and background is usually left up to the assistants, and I think these things really have an influence of the atmosphere the series creates.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

I honestly don't remember much from the art & style quality of the manga, but I liked both the old and the new.

RealOne wrote:
Call me crazy, but I think GTO got BETTER after the Okinawa arc. So much focus on individual characters... Like Noboru and Uehara's date... That said, my favorite chapter of all time is still Mr. Sakurai's poop adventures and metamorphosis. Some epic shit right there.

Indeed I loved that side-story!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2