It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:15 pm

Post subject: What made Onizuka want to become a teacher?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 am 
Newcomer

I finished GTO recently and I was thinking, based off the last chapter... What event changed Onizuka so much to change from a gang leader to wanting to change students' lives by becoming a teacher? I've just started reading Shounan Junai Gumi in hopes of finding out that answer but could someone kindly answer it for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 am 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

Welcome aboard our great forums! You're here just in time for we will soon upgrade everything around here!

Onizuka has always been a kind-hearted man. Even when he was in the gang. You will see that in SJG a lot. The explanation is also given in the GTO Manga, at first he starts out being a teacher to get in bed with young chicks... But it seems that something clicks when he hears Mizuki's problems... Maybe taht's when he realized his call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:10 am 
Newcomer

Wait.. Isn't Mizuki that anime-only girl that committed suicide and was the reason for Miyabi's aggression? Was she even in the manga?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:20 am 

Onizuka Urumi wrote:
Wait.. Isn't Mizuki that anime-only girl that committed suicide and was the reason for Miyabi's aggression? Was she even in the manga?

Mizuki was the girl whose wall Onizuka destroyed... I think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 am 
Newcomer

Oh I remember now! But I still don't understand how she affected him that much. I guess I need to go reread it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:32 am 
Newcomer

Okay! New question. Who was that new transfer student at the end ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:47 am 

Onizuka Urumi wrote:
Okay! New question. Who was that new transfer student at the end ?

"Looks like new adventures on the horizon"
I think it was just Fujisawa setting up for a possible GTO II.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 am 
Great Forum Moderator~

Hey, Onizuka Urumi. Welcome to OnibakuBanzai forums :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:54 am 
Newcomer

Thanks! And I really hope an actual GTO2 will be released within 2011!
Anyways.. Does the order go from Bad Company -> Shounan Junai Gumi -> GTO -> Shonan 14 days? And am I missing one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:02 am 

Onizuka Urumi wrote:
Thanks! And I really hope an actual GTO2 will be released within 2011!
Anyways.. Does the order go from Bad Company -> Shounan Junai Gumi -> GTO -> Shonan 14 days? And am I missing one?

Yeah, that's the order. You could read S14D whenever, really. Since it happens in the middle of GTO and so far doesnt go beyond it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am 
Newcomer

Does the ending of SJG tie into the beginning of GTO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:36 am 

Hey Onizuka Urumi! Welcome to the forums :)
If you're thinking place is really old and worn out looking, don't worry because like RealOne said there will be some pretty major updates around here very soon! Anyway, onto your questions.

Quote:
What event changed Onizuka so much to change from a gang leader to wanting to change students' lives by becoming a teacher?

It's a common misconception, but Onizuka was never a 'gang leader' as such. He was a member of the Midnight Angels (this was all before SJG mind you), although I don't think was a particularly high ranking member, just a young kid who was favoured by Masaki more than anything else. ...Well when I say favoured, I think Masaki took a liking to him and Ryuji, and kind of mentored them in a way. As for the Onibaku, misleading translations in GTO might have made it seem like a gang, but in actuality it's just what Eikichi and Ryuji called themselves as a two man team.

In my opinion, by the time SJG comes around Eikichi and Ryuji have pretty much already moved past the whole gang thing. Sure they still dress like delinquents, ride bikes around and get into fights, but their ethic is pretty strong. For instance, is particularly evident in the role they played in the whole Midnight Angel fiasco that is described to have happened before SJG took place (it's never actually depicted in the series, but is talked about quite frequently). Essentially what happened was, Masaki had stepped down as the first generation leader, the midnight angels split up into three, each with a leader who fought with each other to take Masaki's place as a second generation Midnight Angels leader. These three pretty much wiped each other out from what I recall, at which point Takada took over as the third generation leader. The streets of Shonan were described to have become chaotic, as the Midnight Angels had become way too big and were causing all sorts of trouble. Eikichi and Ryuji took it onto themselves to put an end to this and together destroyed the Midnight Angels in spirit of Masaki, who would have never wanted his gang to end up this way. Whichever way you look at it, it's pretty clear the Onibaku was already heading in the well meaning direction we see in GTO prior to where SJG begins. ...Although it doesn't stop them from walking around like smug idiots from time to time, soaking up the glory they acquire from their fighting prowess ^^;

Having said all this though, there are quite a few events in SJG that seem to reaffirm both Eikichi and Ryuji's good nature and ethics, even if they were already forming from the start. The revival of the Midnight Angels, Natsu and the whole situation at the end of the series. There are quite a few examples of events and situations that both Eikichi and Ryuji learn from and prove they are good hearted people as RealOne said.

Quote:
Wait.. Isn't Mizuki that anime-only girl that committed suicide and was the reason for Miyabi's aggression? Was she even in the manga

I think you've figured out who RealOne's talking about, but just to make it clear, it's Mizuki Nanako, the girl that at first tries to seduce Onizuka in order to make him loose his job while he's still a teacher in training. Whether or not I agree with RealOne that she is the sole reason why Onizuka flipped from teaching to try and hook young girls to teaching in order to help kids, I'm not so sure. Personally I think it's due to a culmination of events that occur near the beginning of GTO (this one included too of course!). I think after teaching for a while and dealing with a few problems, he realises that kids really do have issues and he really can help them, and I guess he simply falls in love with being a teacher in this way.

Quote:
Does the order go from Bad Company -> Shounan Junai Gumi -> GTO -> Shonan 14 days?

Chronologically, kind of. Shonan 14 Days starts of as being set after GTO, but so far almost all of the story has taken place between volume 19 and 20 of GTO as a flashback. I assume it will return to current time eventually, which will bring us back to post-GTO time.

As for Bad Company, that's where it fits in chronologically, but in actual fact it was written while SJG was in its final stages. That's why the art style is nothing like the beginning of SJG ;)

Quote:
Does the ending of SJG tie into the beginning of GTO?

Hmm yes and no... but I'm more inclined to say no if you're asking if GTO starts right from where SJG left off. There are roughly 6 years of Onizuka's life that are missing between the two. In this time Onizuka moves to Tokyo and goes to University etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 am 
Obsessed with OnibakuBanzai!

Hey Onizuka Urumi nice too meet you^^
You are not a girl right?
I just want to know because there are topics that shouldn't be seen...xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:12 pm 

Haha, don't scare our new member away!
It's not that bad anyway. :lol:

Btw Urumi, I like that avatar. Did you colour it yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:17 pm 
Awesome!

Welcome to the forums Onizuka Urumi :)

If you wanna truly find the answer why Onizuka became a teacher I suggest checking out the live action Drama. It's very different compared to the Manga but stays true to the series roots.
Although really in truth I think it was all about the money and his salary c'mon lol

Teaching and going on wild adventures a great job if your Onizuka!