It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:35 am

Post subject: Avatar: James Cameron Epic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:50 pm 
Awesome!

James Cameron. That name rings alot of bells now does it? :P
Titanic, Terminator 1+2, Aliens... all memorable movies for every generation. After 13 years he is back with a new film called Avatar. A film many experts and critics claim will change cinema forever.

Now at first I was sceptical when i saw the trailer. I thought " this should of been a computer game" instead of a movie (the game is out as well btw lol) but after watching some documentaries a couple of weeks ago I started to get a feeling that this movie is the only film worth watching in the cinema. I started to realise Cameron was not messing around introducing us to "smurf" like "thundercats" spectacle (check the pic if you haven't realise yet lol). He simply wanted to create a visual masterpiece by taking us to the world of Pandora: a world filled with alot of trees and strange wild life. Still I was not convinced and was worried that maybe this was a risk especially the fact the film cost a whooping 300 million US dollars to make!

Last night I watched Avatar. Last night I was convinced. And last night I realise there's more to cinema and even animation that other directors haven't been able to accomplish. Only James Cameron was brave to spend the last 13 years preparing and waiting for the time that he could use the technology today to show other directors and the audience a new level of story telling and imagination. I was totally convinced :) There was no need for a long in depth narration as to why humans in the 22nd century started mining for rare minerals on Pandora. And there was no need for Cameron to give an in-depth backstory about the protagonist James Sully, paralysed ex marine who dreams for an adventure. All this is done in the first 10 mins! Afterwards the entire 120 mins is pure genius.

I'm not going to go on about the linear story because sadly it's a very basic tale that's been told in many westerns, films involving rainforest's and even Braveheart or Last Samurai. Also the love story between Jame's and the female warrior of the Na'Vi tribe Neytili reminds you of Jack and Rose on the Titanic. Thankfully Cameron direction of the story keeps you interested thanks to the large amount of CGI in the film. All I'm gonna say is that it's like being in a completely amazing dream. You even feel like your there on the planet Pandora. You'll soon forget about the story and cheesy script because all you'll be interested in is Pandora. It may sound strange to say because I'm trying to make a point about the presentation reaching out to us audiences since many movies in recent years rely on a strong script and story. I am somebody who prefers an interesting powerful drama movie like Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, City of God and also The Girl that Leapt Through time anime movie. I never watch films because of the latest special effects however with Avatar it's different and something fresh that the ageing Cinema been waiting for. Actually I need to scrap the last sentence since I really wanted to catch the jaw dropping CGI on the big screen lol! You get what I mean right?

Avatar is awesome. It made me feel happy about films these days as I do love composing music on my spare time. It would be a huge dream if I ever get to write music for a amazing film like Avatar and try be in Jame's Horners shoes lol. Hopefully it is a wake up call for hollywood to really push the technology of CGI. t's a film worth watching in cinema regardless of the silly internet rants of it being "Dancing with smurfs" or a direct message on capitalism... I'll stop writing there because all I care about is being "entertained" and take loads of holidays. So I suggest visiting Pandora for your next holiday :p It's that awesome so go see it NOW!

P.S. I watched the 2D regular version and now want to see it in 3D! Yep it's in 3D too!

Last edited by smallfry14 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:53 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

tbh im not quite interested, it really reminds me of how America was found and its makes me sad (that it happened) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:43 am 
Obsessed with OnibakuBanzai!

Wow, such a great review. o.o
I might consider watching it then ;D
Can't think of anything else to watch, lol..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:44 pm 

I watched it.
Pretty damn crazy movie. I'd highly recommend it. Sure, it was cliche and the plot was easy for foreshadow, but it's still a great movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 pm 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

I agree with this review 100%. Watch it in 3D if you can. It's one of those movies you can see twice at the cinema and not get bored, even though it's almost 3 hours long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 pm 

Yoshio wrote:
I agree with this review 100%. Watch it in 3D if you can. It's one of those movies you can see twice at the cinema and not get bored, even though it's almost 3 hours long.
Yea, it didn't really feel like 3 hours long.. Unlike some other movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 pm 
OnibakuBanzai Hardcore

I thought it was pretty good, didn't watch it in 3D though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 pm 
Awesome!

JKlinked wrote:
I thought it was pretty good, didn't watch it in 3D though.

yeah me too didn't get a chance to see it again in 3d :( But I'm planning to get a new 3d tv in the summer with Avatar to make up for that :)

It would be awesome if there was an Anime movie adaptation using the same technology that the Avatar movie used. Also the Arsenal v Manchester UTD Football/Soccer match was the first ever match SKy recorded in 3d to test it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:04 am 

I didn't even know there was 3d tv >.>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:25 am 
OnibakuBanzai Hardcore

TV's/Monitors that can go 120 Hz Can be used with "Shutter" 3D tech. But I don't think Avatar would need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:29 am 
Great Forum Moderator~

from what i`ve heard there is some kind of software that is already used to convert games into "3D" and you can play by wearing those glasses.

also from what i`ve heard the only 3D in Avatar was actually the text, but im not sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 am 
OnibakuBanzai Hardcore

Yeah, that's Shutter 3D, gives normal games 3D depth of field By cutting frame rate in half so you need a 120Hz monitor to play in 60Hz, or something along those lines. Supposed to be backward compatible with at least 100 recent games...but I'll believe it when I see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:00 pm 

In Avatar, the 3D gave it a little extra depth, but it wasn't one of those intense 3-D effects, like the ones you watch at theme parks.

As for Shutter 3D, it basically looks like the way most 3D movies do now, like you said, giving it more depth. My cousin has the promo, and it's really shitty quality, but it works in terms of giving the games perception. I know for a fact that it works for CS 1.6 and L4D2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 am 
Great Forum Moderator~

ya i head COD 4 or 5 works with 3d also with some mod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 pm 

It's going to be crazy, lol.. I can't imagine that once I grow old or whatever, I'll be considered outdated with all this new technology coming out ='[
My kids will look at me like I'm some Uchiyamada, haha