It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Post subject: Tohru Fujisawa, GTO, and Religion
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 pm 
Newcomer

What's everyone's opinion on the role of religion in these series (the ones featuring Onizuka)?

There are some references in the manga, but not that many - in addition to the fact that sometimes the translations of words like "spirit" or "God," can't really be trusted as I'm not really sure what it means in the context of Japanese culture... As far as I can tell there is more allusion to eastern religion rather than western - nevertheless the series takes a definitely more humanistic approach, and superstition is often used for comedic effect - but I'd like to hear other people's opinion on this.

For that matter, does anyone know what are Fujisawa's own religious/political beliefs?

Post subject: Re: Tohru Fujisawa, GTO, and Religion
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:15 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

Don't know what Fujisawa's own views are, but GTO never appeared to favor any particular worldview IMO. There's the occasional rare reference, but I never got the sense that there was the intended message that "this is bad" or "this is good". I think religion is simply a non-isssue when it comes to GTO. And that may be just as well.