It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: It's (NOT) OVER (ANYMORE)! Tokyopop lost the license!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:05 pm 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

I don't know what is wrong with people these days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 pm 

bandit_legend wrote:

I can tell you. GTO isn't moe enough. It's that simple. Everything has to be moe and perverted to sell well. While GTO is perverted it lacks moe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
bandit_legend wrote:

I can tell you. GTO isn't moe enough. It's that simple. Everything has to be moe and perverted to sell well. While GTO is perverted it lacks moe.

Let's be clear here: GTO has not been selling poorly, SJG has. Since S14D has been doing a lot better than SJG, I feel pretty sure that any "lack of moe" is not the problem. The whole "moe is ruining anime" mentality is bullshit, anyway. Frankly, I think the failure of SJG in the English speaking market is the unfortunate result of multiple factors:

1) SJG is old. People aren't interested in old titles unless it's something huge like Sailor Moon that they watched when they were kids, or when they first got into anime or whatever, and feel nostalgic about.

2) GTO came out first. Then when the first volumes of SJG came out with not nearly as good art and story (in the beginning) despite being "newer" than GTO, people were disappointed. A lot of people still think SJG is a "prequel", sigh...

3) As we've discussed before, Vertical starting with volume 11 - when the first ten were already long out of print - made it not very accessible to new readers. I'm sure a lot of people who used to read TokyoPop's volumes forgot about it in the meantime as well. Quite simply, the long break between volumes 10 and 11 probably hurt the series a lot.

4) "Biker gangs" aren't cool anymore.

5) NOBODY'S TALKING ABOUT IT!! Look around on the various manga/anime forums out there... Even today, people will still talk about GTO from time to time but no where else but here, that I've seen, does anyone discuss SJG. I don't know if people even know it exists... There's just no hype whatsoever.

This is just what I think, of course, but we also can't escape the fact that SJG just never was as popular as GTO. Hell, even people I know in real life who like or even love GTO have little to no interest in SJG. It just didn't click with western fandom, I guess. It's sad, but you know what? It's their loss. Personally, I'm just happy I got to complete the series after TokyoPop went under. Before Vertical announced the license last year, I seriously didn't think we'd ever see the rest of the series published in English. But you know what? It happened. That's a win. Those of us who care, got what we wanted. It would've been nice if it had reached a wider audience, but meh. SJG will go out of print again, what else is new... At least now it's not our problem. The leeches who sit around waiting for everything to be scanned and put online instead of buying the manga probably aren't going to be too happy, but fuck 'em.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:29 pm 

Your reasons make sense, but I'm still pretty sure the lack of huge manga eyes, boobs and panty-shots of little girls has something to do with it too. GTO isn't that popular either... Nowhere near Love Hina and stuff like that... Just look at the poll results from the Scandinavian magazine Manga Mania way back when (which we discussed before). A moe manga was ALWAYS #1 and GTO was at the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:01 pm 
I post a lot!

It's all about taste. GTO/SJG pretty much is the only manga I buy. As Ugly Pig says, I'm just glad that we got it complete in English and that's good enough for me.

Ongoing: Adesugata Junjou Boy; Shonan Seven
Completed: Oishii Kamishama; Animal Joe; Dutchoven Girl of Love; Unhappy!; Uncharted: The Treasure of El Dorado; Elegy for the Errors of Cooking; Repoman Soul!; Black Diamond; Ino-Head Gargoyle; GT-R; Secret Combat Troops Momoider; Love You; Goblin Mad Dog; Kamen Teacher VS Police
Dropped: GTO: Paradise Lost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

RealOne wrote:
Your reasons make sense, but I'm still pretty sure the lack of huge manga eyes, boobs and panty-shots of little girls has something to do with it too. GTO isn't that popular either... Nowhere near Love Hina and stuff like that... Just look at the poll results from the Scandinavian magazine Manga Mania way back when (which we discussed before). A moe manga was ALWAYS #1 and GTO was at the bottom.

Oh yeah, I remember that well and believe me it pissed me off... I don't know if Love Hina qualifies as a "moe manga", though? Maybe we mean different things when we use that phrase. Regardless, in retrospect I don't think it's any wonder that Love Hina did better in the reader polls, considering it was on the freaking cover every time and GTO never was... Which means that, naturally, people who gravitate towards that kind of manga would buy the magazine more than someone who is more likely to prefer GTO's art style would... Which only makes the extreme focus on that particular series in the magazine all the more infuriating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:11 am 

Moe or not... I've finally ordered my copy of SJG 15 too... Brace for impact... Another GTO series coming to an end. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 am 

I can see your points about SJG, Ugly Pig.
But what about the complete and utter lack of interest in Inohead?

This is an SJG topic so don't want to diverge too much, but yeah. Do you think it has an absolute nil following for similar reasons as SJG perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:10 pm 
Regular!

Sigh... it's really depressing that at the present time- i.e., when there's more GTO-related manga etc around than at any time in, well... years, there's just basically no fanbase, no interest... nothing. I would have thought nostalgia among those who used to read GTO would be enough to draw them back to the fold, but apparently not :( I guess Ino-Head and GTR aren't as well-publicised as the original GTO was (?) but nonetheless... Fujisawa deserves better. Heck, so does this place, and GTO fandom in general :|

And it goes without saying that I'm similarly perplexed by how SJG doesn't get more attention paid to it. At least they've finally managed to get the whole thing out in English, though, despite all the trials and tribulations.

Doko no kumi no monja, ware. Sumaki ni shite shizume taroka, kora!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:22 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

bandit_legend wrote:
I can see your points about SJG, Ugly Pig.
But what about the complete and utter lack of interest in Inohead?

Well, your guess is as good as mine... All I know is I'm seeing absolutely zero buzz about it on any anime/manga sites or forums I read. It's like people don't even know it exists. I think we, the die hard fans, are the only ones who realized when the manga was announced that it has anything to do with GTO/SJG... To everyone else, it's just some random cop manga. That, or people just don't care enough about Saejima to want to see him as the protagonist. I can see that.

To get back on track - I got my SJG 15 in the mail today!! Hope I will have time to read it later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

Read it... Yeah, I've finished Shonan Junai Gumi... feels weird, after all this time...

As for the ending? I'll just say this... The more things change, the more they stay the same.

But with the way it ended, I sure am glad it got a sequel. And not just because that sequel was GTO.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm 

So there, I finally read it too.

Mini-spoiler
Spoiler:
Quote:
Scandinavian girls!!?
Sorry Onizuka, you're not missing out on much.
Also, just who was that girl with the paper-bag anyway? I wanted to see her face. :P

Mega-spoiler
Spoiler:
Oh, it's that scene. I always wanted to read that part. The ending was not very satisfying, if it had really ended there, it would have sucked. Thank heavens we got GTO. Also, screw Fuyutsuki and Urumi... Shinomi is the one Onizuka should really end up with.

Now then... It feels weird that it ended, but even more so because we don't have Bad Company to complete the SJG collection... Grumble, grumble...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 am 
I post a lot!

In a perfect world, Onizuka can have a polygamy relationship with Shinomi, Fuyutsuki and Urumi.

Ongoing: Adesugata Junjou Boy; Shonan Seven
Completed: Oishii Kamishama; Animal Joe; Dutchoven Girl of Love; Unhappy!; Uncharted: The Treasure of El Dorado; Elegy for the Errors of Cooking; Repoman Soul!; Black Diamond; Ino-Head Gargoyle; GT-R; Secret Combat Troops Momoider; Love You; Goblin Mad Dog; Kamen Teacher VS Police
Dropped: GTO: Paradise Lost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm 

nosajj wrote:
In a perfect world, Onizuka can have a polygamy relationship with Shinomi, Fuyutsuki and Urumi.

Yes, this. Lucky bastard Bronizuka if it happens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:09 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

Ugly Pig wrote:
I don't know about the Lucky Star manga, but the anime flopped bigtime in the US despite its online popularity.

I just want to point out that I was wrong about this, turns out Lucky Star actually did well in the US. I know no one's gonna care, and I don't care myself, I just figure that in fairness when I've said something that's incorrect I should correct it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13