It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:40 pm 
X JAPAN fan

yes, but Kashiya and the other guys didn't know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 pm 
Regular!

OK, I see what you mean now. I think he certainly COULD have been a Midnight Angel, or even a friend of Masaki somehow; the only thing with this character in general (has no background, no real explanation of his role, no NAME, even) is that nothing is directly stated. I just would have thought that had he any real claim to his 'knowledge' it'd be prefixed with 'I was in the Midnight Angels gang...I know all about that ZII' or SOMETHING that would make sense, but like I say he could be anybody, Masaki's cousin, anything, and we have no way of finding out :cry:

Regarding Kashiya's knowledge of the ZII, on pg. 81 Kashiya says 'That ZII...it can't be-'; on pg.88 it's mentioned that he lost a race to Masaki in the past (causing a furious expression). This means he knows the ZII and about Masaki (plus EVERYONE knows about Masaki, really- the number of times a random thug has gone 'The legendary 'Speed King'?!' or 'The legendary 1st Generation Midnight Angel leader?!?'...)

Also pg 81- prior to blondie's 'explanation', when the ZII is revealed, Onizuka says to Joey 'what's up, Joey? You scared?' to which he replies 'Don't look down on me!'. Kashiya's bike is much more powerful and souped-up than your average ZII, so unless Joey knew a) about Masaki's 'legendary' ZII and b) that Onizuka was about to ride THAT very ZII, he wouldn't look nervous and sweating like he is in that scene. He'd be arrogant and looking certain of victory, I'd imagine.

I don't really get the part where blondie explains about the ZII- it seems almost to be outlining the 'legend' for the readers (AGAIN); to me it'd make more sense to have one of the more important characters do it, for example Kashiya himself, but....who knows what Fujisawa was going for here :) It does look like he's addressing the underling with glasses, though, after he says 'That Onizuka...why's he using that bike?'. I just can't see how this random guy would know more than Kashiya, who lost a race to Masaki himself. The weird thing is, that that same underling knows that Kashiya, on a Honda CB, lost a race to Masaki's ZII in the past, which blondie DOESN'T know...which is odd. o_O I guess underling didn't know that Eikichi was using THE ZII.

I don't think it hurts to assume that blondie COULD have some relationship to past events involving Masaki, we will never know for sure, most likely- I just think that if one was to take a character expressing a general knowledge of the 'legendary ZII' as a sign that they were formerly a Midnight Angel, well....there'd be a heck of a lot of them ^_^

Doko no kumi no monja, ware. Sumaki ni shite shizume taroka, kora!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:19 am 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

Hm really strange. As you said Cypher, there has been a countless number of background characters who have been named, yet this guy, who I consider to play a much more leading role than most of them remains unknown :s. I mean, he even makes an appearance at the final fight and is on the cover of volume 31. Next time Fujisawa is set to make an appearance at a panel, that's one of the first questions I want to ask :P. If you think about it, he must have some sort of a name for him, as he would have had to refer to him to his editor/s and staff. For now though, I guess its another mystery that goes along with Fumiya's wavy, then straight, then wavy hair XD. I definitely think we should make a bio for him anyway, even if we just call him "Kashiya's blond associate" or something like that until we get to the bottom of this!

Oh yeah, and just so you know Cypher, the Tokyopop releases are up to vol. 9 (17+18 tank), and vol. 10 should be out early next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:29 pm 
X JAPAN fan

Cypher, can you translate this for everybody? I did the translation into french but I don't wanna do it to english now ^^'

http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/tokko/interview/ It tells about what Fujisawa thinks about Tokkô and the mystery, etc... ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:11 pm 
Regular!

Well, to be honest, I'm not very familiar with Tokko (and I'd prefer to mainly stick to SJG), but since it's short I've done it....Nothing particularly enlightening as far as I can see.

Still...surely it would have taken less effort for you to translate from French to English than for me to translate from Japanese to English...? ^^;

The big mystery in this production is the 'holes'- but for what purpose was this conceived...?

Fujisawa-sensei:
In a housing complex in Machida, that 'hole' opened, and a lot of grotesque things emerged- that's the story, but... Saying 'a hole', there's a sense of unfathomability; there's a 'dark' image, isn't there. I wanted to bring out that 'can't see the bottom' type of scariness skillfully. Because the anime version, even moreso than the manga, interprets that and constructs that area well, I think that 'it's really becoming very interesting, isn't it'.

What is the theme that you will use to depict the confrontation between the protagonists and those 'holes'?

Fujisawa-sensei:
It's a 'Light and darkness' scenario, isn't it. The protagonists are fighting against the evil ones who employ the darkness' power, but within that story, I'm trying to skillfully depict the idea of 'God' and the 'Devil', 'good' and 'evil', 'light' and 'darkness' as inseparably connected. Such things as 'even those people living a regular life can fall into evil in a second' can certainly happen. The main character Shindo Ranmaru is taking those 'inseparable' things upon himself; trouble that will be born from that, as well as other things....that's what I most wanted to draw.

If there are any other important concepts you're working with, please think of them.

Fujisawa-sensei:
In the anime version, they've really gone deeply into depicting the connection between the protagonist and the girl called Sakura, but that's a part that up to now, I haven't drawn in the manga. But it was the opposite in the anime, and looked enjoyable, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:48 pm 
X JAPAN fan

thX ^^ It'd have been harder for me since my translation doesn't look that way xDDDDD
it says almost the same but mine was such a gibberish :oops:

That's maybe because I don't have and don't find a japanese-french and french-japanese dictionnary >.<

Do you have the name of the Japanese-English & English-Japanese dictionnary? ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:13 pm 
Regular!

Hmmm, to be honest I don't actually tend to use a dictionary except for online resources like Jim Breen's site (URL below)

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... dic.cgi?1C

for checking words; other than that I have a software to input katakana/hiragana/kanji called JWPce (I'd recommend it if it's still around online somewhere- I think it should be)

To be honest though, a lot of Japanese isn't really accurately represented in a dictionary; knowing what parts of the sentence are nouns/verbs and which are actual grammatical structures comes with practise, but there are some books that do outline these for you. Most Kodansha books are good in different ways; 'A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Sentence Patterns' by Naoko Chino, 'Japanese Verbs at a Glance' (same author), Oxford Japanese Grammar and Verbs...these are all books that have a place in my shelf from when I was in my first year of university. Also of course we had an actual textbook with lessons (the 'Minna no Nihongo' series; I'd definitely recommend it as a very good resource for regular, long-term studying).

I guess though, things like the Oxford Japanese-English Dictionary or something else published by a reputable publisher would be a good resource; I can't say for sure though as the only actual dictionary I ever bought was an Oxford Pocket Japanese one before I even started studying (and an old, leather bound Kenkyusha one) and I never really use it nowadays what with all the online resources there are available ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:22 pm 
X JAPAN fan

ok thX but for grammar, i know "a lot" but the problem is vocabulary and online french resources aren't very good ^^'

I'll look for what you've just told me if I ever go to England ^^' (the schooltrip was cancelled 1-2 months ago T_T )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:39 pm 
Regular!

Just out of interest, are you looking at a particular JLPT level to aim for first, or just starting from the beginning and learning as much Japanese as you can? I only ask because there are certain lists of words that you would be required to learn for each level if you were learning that way, and I have the URLs for some useful sites somewhere around here....

I think that you can get hold of all the books I mentioned before from Amazon (UK, at least); I don't know whether they send to Belgium or whether it'd be really expensive though (although it may be better than having to carry a load of heavy books around London with you ^^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:54 pm 
X JAPAN fan

"or just starting from the beginning and learning as much Japanese as you can?" That's it xD

give me lists :P I wanna learn useful words ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:20 am 
Regular!

Well, this site outlines all the vocab/grammar etc for levels 2-4 (4 is the easiest; 1 is the highest level)

http://www.jlptstudy.com/

Just click on the Level _ button at the top and it will bring up a left-hand toolbar for that level with links to vocab, grammar, and everything else you'd need to learn for that level.

I know it seems like I'm harping on and on about the JLPT; the fact is however that most textbooks (etc) start from level 4 content and move on upwards; we weren't focusing on the JLPT where I studied at uni, but after a couple of months the sensei matter-of-factly informed us that we would be considered level 4 and would probably do well on the exam if taken...so yeah, it all seems to kind of tie in like that ^^

B_L/ anyone else- while searching for that blondie's name, I came across some interesting passages which, once I actually looked harder, revealed nothing about his name ¬_¬ but 'Ootsuki' (大月) appeared a few times; perhaps, as is done in other fandoms, we could take it upon ourselves to give him a name, if only for our own reference? Sure, it'd still be best to call him 'Kashiya's blond underling' in FAQs etc, but in forum use a shorthand may be OK. Hell, unless one of us gets the chance to ask Fujisawa himself, we won't ever know anyways :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 am 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

Ootsuki? Now that sounds familiar... where'd you read this?
Speaking of JLPT, I'm planning to go for my 3rd Kyuu in July ;)
I was actually consulting Eren on where to find some good study sites for it. Although he didn't mention it that site looks pretty good. He went for his 1st Kyuu in December :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:19 pm 
X JAPAN fan

Ootsuki means "important moon" isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:52 pm 
Regular!

Well, it's in vol.21 (chapter 185). I was browsing through, hoping to find mention of blondie's name, and when I came to the part where Kashiya's talking to his dad (?) I thought he may mention it....when I saw 'Ootsuki' I thought it may have been his name, but on actually reading what's said it's referring to the place....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otsuki

It is also a Japanese surname though :P

So, 1st-kyuu, huh? I bet most of the people I studied with wouldn't put in the extra effort to get that....that guy always seemed to be really into Japanese, more than anyone else I've encountered ^_^

Julien- I don't know if the combination of the two kanji necessarily has any meaning other than the sum of its parts, but certainly '大' means 'big, large' (although it can mean 'important' in combination with certain kanji) and '月' means 'moon' and 'month'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:33 am 
Newcomer

I am saddened ayumi and ryuji left their seperate ways but w/e...btw what chapter/volume does it show it?