It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Post subject: The Bad Guys
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:56 am 
OnibakuBanzai Administration Team

Ok this is for people who've read a fair bit of the manga, namely the Italians of this forum ;)... and soon No_Master too apparently.

So what do you guys think of the bad guys so far? Any favorites, or any thoughts in general? The major ones so far for you guys have mainly been Fumiya, Ookubo, Takezawa and Akutsu. I can tell you now all of them come back later on to some degree, although Ookubo's reappearance is very small.

To get the ball rolling, what do you guys think of Fumiya, do you think he's capable of becoming a good guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:24 pm 

Great topic! A needed one i could say...
So far, in the 7 volumes of the manga i read, i liked Akutsu more than the others. He is really the craziest between all the bad people i read until now in SJG.
I really hated him until i found out the motivations behind everything... the whole "Masaki-wannabe" thing, gave to me something more to the character. And i really like the dark tone of VOL.7. I'm really dying to read the duel with Onizuka. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:41 am 

Since we're all a lot further into the series then we were when I first opened this thread I thought I might bump it. Also this place looks like it needs to liven up a little bit :)

Surely people have got some favourites by now, we've got a whole heap to choose from! To name a few we've got Fumiya and the kyokuto boys, Ookubo, Takezawa and the Idaten, Kamishima, Tamura and the Enosho boys, Nakajo, Akutsu... and for those who have vol 8 Natsu and the Yokohama Cavalry!

C'mon guys, lets talk about the villains!

I'll start by saying that I hated Fumiya when he first appeared, he was just a self centered psycho who was that close to killing a number of people, and quite plain character-wise. I really don't want to spoil anything but as I've already mentioned he's one of the people who returns later on and... well lets just say that my opinion of him has changed quite dramatically.

The Kyokuto boys though... Ah sorry but in my opinion if there are any characters in SJG that are plain and boring then it'd have to be them. Generally speaking they're just a bunch of stereotypical thugs, though I guess there are quite a few background characters like that. Thing is though since they used to be under the Onibaku's wing it would've been nice to have a little more of an insight into some of them. Asakura did start to develop in a pretty nice way in the Ookubo arc, but the thing with him is he just stopped making appearances.

And Ookubo... yeah I hate him. One of the slimiest bastards in the whole series, and it felt so good when Eikichi bashed the utter shit out of him.

I like Takezawa. Although I think his design is a bit plain, the character development he goes through is quite significant, and he turns into quite a nice guy once he puts the idaten behind him. Really grows up.

Kamishima's insane, and to be honest, it's hard to like someone like that. One could argue he has some pretty bad ass moments but I don't think it's as cool when it's clear that they're driven by his instability. And yeah, it's hard to like someone with a mullet too :P.

Tamura's an ugly bastard (and amazingly I know someone who looks exactly like him) but his whole rivalry with Katsuyuki results in some pretty funny situations. He does get a little annoying later on in the series though when he becomes a certain someone's bitch.

And Nakajo... I dunno, I think saying my thoughts on him at this point in time might give away a bit to much. Would still be interested to hear what you guys think though! I get the feeling most of you haven't read vol 8 so I wont go into Natsu or the Yokohama's yet either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:51 pm 

I'd like to say, Good Job, Fujisawa-sensei! He can even make the readers like the worst and ugliest of villains!

I don't think I have a favorite, and I have a hard time remembering the names of everyone. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:10 pm 
Regular!

I'm not sure where everyone's up to either, so I'll follow BL's lead and avoid spoilers :)

Personally I enjoyed Nakajou in later volumes probably most of all (whether or not that's just because of the improved art quality I couldn't really say); he's really quite scary when he's in a bad mood ^^. Also he seems to actually be a pretty big 'boss', at least in terms of high-school gangs...

I have a soft spot for the Yokohama Kihei, despite Nakagaki being the only one that really does anything)- I liked the sort of 'warped reflection of the Onibaku' feel to them, like 'what if Ryuji and Eikichi used their powers for evil' :)

I agree about Fumiya...I like him in later volumes (no spoilers), but he is irritating in his first appearances...I found his semi-psychosis unconvincing and as you say BL, he was just 'self-centered'; I can understand how he may have felt betrayed but I thought he was portrayed as too sane to seriously believe that he had the right to go around trying to kill people...I don't know. Akutsu too- setting people on fire?! That kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth (even though it's fiction)- just seems a bit too horrific a thing to do to someone (even an asshole like Kamishima, speaking of whom- I quite liked his character for what it was- not very important- but his 'psychoness' was at least convincing, I mean I'd probably be a bit nuts if someone lit me up twice o_O)

Kashiya is cool as the sort of real big-league Yakuza successor type- a more effective version of 'senpai' Yokokawa from the early volumes- but he sort of floats around a lot and does nothing himself...still, the feuds he had a part in rocked, so I forgive him (what the HELL is the name of his blond, Kamata-esque sidekick with the spiky gloves?? I swear it's never said)

Ookubo- I agree again; probably the least likeable character in my opinion (possibly because he's so goddamn ugly ¬_¬ but also again the whole 'unjustified psycho' gig)

I guess that should do, or I'll fill a whole damn page o_O

Doko no kumi no monja, ware. Sumaki ni shite shizume taroka, kora!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:45 pm 
Newcomer

Hey. :)
Well personally, my favourite was Kamata when him and Saejima were against Onibaku. I just thought he was super cool, even though his hair was a bit insane when he was fighting with Onibaku. He looked like a mad-man for most of that period.
I'm liking Natsu too, the way he's all silent and stuff. Can't wait to read volume 9 to find out more about him. His hair's cool, and he plays bass. I like people who play bass. :wink:
But like you guys said, Ookubo was the worst! I just hated his big ugly mut. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 pm 
Great Forum Moderator~

Just like Relybob, I hate Ookubo, especially what he had done to Natsumi. Btw, what has happened to Kamata after SJG? I dont recall anything being mentioned about him in GTO.

edit : found out that kamata has been studying to become a musician. 8)